Did you know that anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the United States? I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder over 2 years ago and although this type of anxiety is extremely common, it is a very real and scary thing that many people struggle with every day. Anxiety makes you think about a million things all at once. It can cause panic attacks and make it feel like you are suffocating or can’t escape your own mind. Although anxiety is very treatable, only one third of those suffering actually choose to receive treatment. Here are 5 ways to help manage any type of anxiety that you might be struggling with.
- Take A Time-Out! This is the number one thing you can do especially if you feel anxious, stressed or overwhelmed. Sometimes you really just need to step away from what you are working on and take a little breather. Do something relaxing such as reading, listening to music or even doing something such as yoga. It can really work wonders if you take that 5-10 minutes to take a break and re-organize your thoughts. The worst thing you can do is overwork yourself to the point where your anxiety becomes unpreventable.
- Talk To Someone. Whether it be a close friend, your mom or a partner it is important to communicate with someone that you are struggling with this. It can also help relieve some of that anxiety, allowing you to feel like a huge weight has just been lifted off your shoulders. If you are having a bad day with your anxiety, try and open up with someone even if you don’t want to. It may not seem like it would help but honestly, it really does.
- Accept That You Can’t Control Everything. As hard as this may sound, put everything into perspective. It is never usually as bad as you think it is, right? Some things are simply inevitable and sometimes you need to realize that you can’t always maintain control over everything. All you need to know is that that’s okay! Life will be a lot less stressful when you are able to understand that there are things that you can control but also things that you can’t. Always know that you did your best. You can’t always be perfect and compliment yourself when you do good or succeed.
- Stay Positive! It’s said that a day without smiling is a day wasted. It’s important to maintain a positive attitude as well as a positive lifestyle. Be around those that make you laugh and bring a good humor to your heart. No matter how bad things may seem, do your best to find one bright and positive thing out of every day. Nothing is ever hopeless, no matter how rock-bottom you may feel. See a mistake as a learning experience and always know that it’s not the end of the world. Take a negative situation and always try to turn it into a positive one. This is sure to make you feel better than before.
- Know The Causes Of Your Anxiety. Know if it is something such as school, family, work or something else you are able to identify. Write in a journal any time you are feeling anxious, overwhelmed or stressed. This may be able to show you a pattern of some type and help you be aware of the situations that do make you anxious and learn ways you can manage or reduce the stress of these reoccurring events. The more knowledgeable you are of the things that cause your anxiety, the more prepared you will be when it comes to managing it as well.
Just know that you aren’t the only one who suffers from some form of anxiety. As I mentioned before, it is very common in many others and there are multiple things you can do to keep your anxiety under your control. Do your best in being as strong as you can in approaching every day and always be aware of your surroundings. Always stay hopeful and remember that nothing is ever as lost as it seems.